Encouraging Engagement for the League of Women Voters
Increase the engagement of their members across all platforms.
Who solved it
I worked with two other designers Shaina Avery and Bridget Walsh. We went through all parts of the user experience design process, each focusing on certain aspects. My focus was on wireframing, interaction design, and prototyping.
The League wants to consider the role that storytelling could play in increasing engagement. The League constantly publishes blog posts and solicits comments on these posts, but it wanted to be more proactive in hearing what’s on the mind of the public.
How we did it
It was a two-week design sprint.
Tools that we used were:
Methods that we used were:
People don’t feel comfortable talking about politics online
We wanted to create an experience that took people away from screens and into the real world. One of the biggest problems facing the League of Women Voters is the lack of sharing ideas and user opinions on their digital platforms. This coincides with our research finding that people didn't feel comfortable posting their opinions.
Meeting people in person is the key
Following the logic that “People don’t feel comfortable talking about politics online” we decided to create a meet-up feature. This would allow members to meet other like-minded individuals in person. This facilitates the League’s need to increase the sharing of individual stories and the user’s need to share their opinions on current political matters. This has the added bonus of giving members an increased sense of community.
Designing is a team sport
Our design process took us through many steps, and we used a lot of the tools in our toolbelts. One approach that worked well on this project was the creation of user archetypes. We created them based on the information we gained through surveys and interviews. Their purpose was to allow us to focus on representing our users at all stages of our design process. It was essential that each of the archetypes represented a demographic that was representative of the League.
Another approach that worked well on this project was the creation of wireframes. When I created the wireframes I used the research and insights that Shaina and Bridget gathered from the surveys and interviews. The wireframes were designed mobile first and included the solution that we discussed in our design studio, the meetup.
After I finished making our wireframe I moved onto creating our clickable prototype in InVision. I did this because it was an opportunity to uncover key issues quickly and effectively before moving on to higher fidelity. We wanted to do user testing early on in the process to identify any problems because at this low-fidelity it would be quick and easy to make adjustments.
A UX designer's job is never 100% finished
At the end of our two-week design sprint, we delivered low fidelity wireframes, a clickable prototype using those wireframes, and a detailed appendix with all of our research and analysis. Proposed next steps included moving our low fidelity wireframes into high fidelity.
Sign up for a new account
Look for a meetup
Sign up for a meetup